Friday, July 23, 2010

Getting Lost, but being found

I arrived in Santa Barbara around 4:00PM. My flights went very smoothly! My sister and I went off to Trader Joe's (so wish we had one) and got some groceries for my visit. My sister, Kelsey had to go to work at 6, and she had told me earlier that her work was about 4 miles away from her home. That sounded perfect to me.. an easy day after track work with John and before my 5K race that is tonight. Kelsey told me you turn right at the driveway and continue on the same road until you see Cathedral Oaks Country Club! (That's where she works). I thought that would be easy enough, although. I decided to turn LEFT at the driveway. I found myself going on a road with NO bike path or even sidewalk (Kelsey said there was both). I decided to keep going and sure it would become clear. I checked my watch and realized at 40 minutes, that I should be there. It was hot outside, so I may have been running a little slower, but not that much slower! I noticed a lady get out of her BMW (x5) at a park area and I stopped her and asked her where Cathedral Oaks was.. She looked at me and said, "Honey,that's a ways away.. Are you running?" I nodded kinda freaking out but trying to not to show it. "Probably about 5 or 6 miles." I thought to myself, okay the worst is, is that I'll end up running 10 miles. Not what I planned on at all, but it wasn't like I couldn't do it. The nice lady, (I later found out was named Ann) said, "I'd give you a lift after we walk the dog!" she had two daughters with her and a really cute golden retriever. I thanked her but told her I was fine and turned around and went back following the directions she gave me. I started back realizing how thirsty I already was.. At around mile 5 I'm guessing I ran into a girl maybe around my age maybe a little older near a house outside. I asked her if I could use her cellphone. She looked at me puzzled, so I motioned a phone with my hands. She then got it and pulled out her phone. I told her my sister's number and she dialed it in.. of course no answer. I left a voicemail.. not knowing what that would do, thanked the girl who couldn't speak very much English, and continued on.
I had been running for about an hour and 10 minutes.. when the BMW drove by with Ann saying, "Can I please give you a ride? I feel so bad!" She pulled over and I ran across the street. I know to never get into cars with people you don't know, but I'll tell you, I felt like I knew her. I know that if you have a completely okay feeling with a person, you will be fine. Ann reminded me of a friend's mom, Renee, I know and adore, and really I was getting a little nervous about my run. I'm not a big heat person, and I really wanted to get back.
She was one of the nicest most heartwarming people I had been around in a long time, and I felt like she could be a friend I have known for my whole life. We talked about how I was training for a 1/2 marathon and how I was running a 5K race today... She told me about these Wednesday runs they have with music and food at the end. They sounded like a lot of fun! Grandpa, do you know about those? Too bad I won't be around on Wednesday..
She dropped me off in the front of Cathedral Oaks and I thanked her profusely. I told I her that I hope someone does this for her if she ever needed someone some day. Karma will come back and do her good.
Nice people make this world such a nice place to live.
I found out I would have ran 12 or 13 miles yesterday if I had ran the whole way.. Not exactly what I want to do in Santa Barbara heat or a day before a race!
Thank you Ann. thank you.

5 comments:

Hills Local said...

Great Story Dana..good people live in SB

Lauren said...

great story. I find good people show up when we need them- anywhere, any time. Glad you can trust your instinct vs being paranoid of "strangers". Go Dana!

Dana Lester said...

GO MOM!! for finding the comment box
<3

Renee said...

Thanks for the compliment, Dana! I'm glad you found her and she finally finished walking her dog. :) We love Trader Joe's here too. Just went there last night in fact. I'm really glad that Santa Cruz has one because now I wouldn't want to live w/o one. You do have Wildberries, The Co-op and Eureka Natural Foods (and Ramone's!) though -- I miss those places.

Ralph Philbrick said...

Quite a story -- quite a Thursday run.

NiteMoves are summer Wednesday 5Ks from Shoreline Park to Lazy Acres area & back to Leadbetter Beach.

Your Carpinteria Track 5K was steady & impressive last night. I haven't run one that fast since 1987.